Monday, November 9, 2009

I'm Missing New York...Time To Cook!






So I've been in a lousy mood today, everything is moving too slow, everything is too boring and dull and well...I just don't feel plugged in like I did in New York, so, if you know me at all you know that when I am feeling lousy I create complicated recipes to cook up for dinner. The more lousy I feel, the more complicated a recipe I think up.

Now combine this propensity with the fact that its once more pomegranate season and that's all she wrote...(BTW, who is she and what has she actually written anyway?)

So, here's what I made tonight. You decide how lousy I felt.

Main course, a spinach, caper and blue cheese stuffed chicken breast that is coated in a wash of pomegranate infused fat free sour cream covered by panko and baked at 350 for about 30 minutes until it is so tender that Elvis would cry when he slipped a fork through it. This is all covered by my patented pomegranate reduction sauce that, quite frankly, has been known to send Catholic School girls into dramatic fits of peremptory confessions of lust for the chef.

Side dishes, my ever famous spinach-mushroom-green-olive-Parmesan bake with panko flavored by salt-free chicken bouillon and , of course, just a touch of chipoltle to keep everyone honest.

Complimenting the spinach bake is a nice little salad of sliced Washington Pears with a pomegranate-sour-cream drizzle whose tang balances the pear's sweetness just right.

This whole meal took about an hour and a half to prepare with many complicated steps involving just about every available dish and cooking device in the house.

Do I feel better? Well the Barefoot Chardonnay www.barefootwine.com that accompanied the meal didn't hurt, and everything actually turned out quite tasty, so I still miss New York, but at least I feel well fed and a little buzzed so the longing is now more of a soft moan of the soul rather than the wrenching ache of longing that had defined most of my day.

Its a start...

No comments: