Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Discovery of Hidden Sodium

To start with, it is very difficult to find any packaged foods that are not packed with ridiculous amounts of sodium. Sometimes the amounts are so ludicrous that the labels have to fraction down the displayed amounts so that they don't make people start weeping in the aisles of Safeway. This fractioning down is done cleverly by the use of "per serving" listings. So that nice can of Campbell's Tomato soup that says it has 800 mgs of sodium per serving seems high, but semi-tolerable until you read the fine print and find out that Campbell's believes that you can get 2.5 servings out of one can, which translates to that little can actually having 2000 mgs of sodium (800 x 2.5=2000). The USDA recommendation for daily sodium intake is 2400 mgs (usually these USDA recommendations are listed right on the label as well...convenient huh?)

So when my girlfriend was recently told to go onto a No-salt diet, we faced quite a challenge, one that re-ignited my interest in cooking. I am the first to admit that I have a "salt-tooth" big time. But I also love my girlfriend so I set out to see what could be done. First stop, the grocery store.

There are actually a lot of salt-free spices in the supermarket. I found  Italian, Mexican, Cajun/Creole and poultry seasoning mixes all salt-free. In addition I discovered crystallized Lime, cumin and chili powder. 

I was very excited. Suddenly there was a whole world bursting open to me outside of my safe little realm of salt, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon and seasoned salt...oh yeah, and pomegranate (more on that in posts).

OK, so what to cook first?

No comments: