Friday, April 25, 2008

The Snapper Experiment

OK, salmon is all well and good, but it was time to branch out. This no-salt regime has given me a real challenge and, while it is fun, it is also a little dangerous. Albeit not running fullspeed down a heavily wooded hillside dangerous, but more, "you really going to eat that?" dangerous. I mean, it's still just food right? Pretty much normal, American style food...nothing too outrageous like fried grubs over a mud-wasp pate. 

Still I am breaking out of my own rut here and venturing into semi uncharted waters, at least for me...hence the snapper. Red snapper is a lovely dense fish with a mild natural flavor and a toughness that can stand up to a lot of different cooking styles. It takes flavor pretty well, especially when you let that flavor ride in on the acid in lemon and/or lime juice.

I started out with a light wheat-flour and herb dusting and a quick sear to brown the outside. Then I put it into bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. A couple days before, we had gone to a Mexican restaurant where we had salmon with a salsa on top. It was nice and I wanted to try my hand at something similar.

I chopped tomatoes and avocado, and then made a marinate of freshly chopped basil, oregano, garlic, lemon thyme and green onions. I added some red and mild yellow peppers along with no-salt, seasoned pepper, olive oil, lemon and lime juice and some balsamic vinegar. I mixed all of that with the tomato-avocado mix and let it sit while the snapper baked. 

When the snapper was done I spooned the tomato-avocado mix over the fillets and served with some slices of fresh pineapple and a light side salad. It was pretty tasty, though the balsamic did lend a sweetness that wasn't particularly to my personal taste. Next time I would probably cut back a little on the balsamic and maybe kick of the heat a little with some spicier chilis.

Next stop, everyone's dreaded vegetable, brussels sprouts. My mom hated them so I never had them growing up, but I am going to try and Italian style saute. Wish me luck.

No comments: